Wilkins Family

Wilkins Family

Monday, October 19, 2009

Hawaii! Very Long and LOTS of Pictures!

Here we are again! Ready to blog some more. I'm a week late of getting these pictures posted but I had a bit going on since I got home from Hawaii!

I'll tell all and then tell about my trip!

I got back and brought back a cold with me. We got back on a Wednesday, just got caught up on sleep and then Saturday 10/10/09 I ran a 10 mile race. I can't say I ran it all, but I gave it my all. In my training leading up to the run I got tendinitis in both my ankles. I nursed them, got some new shoes and got back into running. In my training I was only able to get up to a 6.2 mile run. And then I left for Hawaii. And I didn't exercise there unless you count open swim in the ocean, and surfing! Then came home and ran. I finished at 1:52 about a 11 minute mile pace. Not too bad!

Recovered from that and then Landon got the flu! We're pretty sure it was swine, they don't test for it anymore unless you're in the hospital, but they said the swine is heat resistant and that's why it's spreading so earlier in the year. And now Jimmy and I aren't feeling all that great feel like we have bad head colds, but doing alright. And our little trooper Emma never got it!.

We have a lot going on before the end of the year so I'll do my best to post. We've got my 10 year reunion this coming weekend! I'm excited to see a lot of my old friends! Then Halloween, Jimmy's parents coming down for my new nephew's baby blessing, trip to Disney World for Thanks Giving, both kids Birthdays, and a Trip to Utah for Christmas! Whew!!! I'll do my best to keep this updated! Thanks to all my friends and family who support me and love to catch up. We miss you and hope you are all doing well! Love Audrey, Jimmy, Landon, and Emma

Alright here's Hawaii! I took a trip with Dr. Graham's dental office. I temped there all summer filling in for a maternity leave. My good friend Courtney from hygiene school works there and knew that I was only working three days a week at my other office. So I picked the two days they were needing at this office. It worked out great.
Any ways they went to Hawaii for some CE (continuing education) classes. It was a great trip.
First night we met and went to a program put on by the ADA called Night Under the Stars. They put on a great show of local Polynesian dancers. A Luau with out the pig. :) It was fun.

Here's a picture of the view of the ocean from my hotel room! I love this one with the sun setting and the beautiful church and sail boat!


Here's a picture of some of us girls after we got our leis. Me on the left, Crystal, Kittra, Amanda, and Jessica. Beautiful leis that were given to everyone.


Amanda and I, she was my wonderful roommate! We had such a blast getting to know each other. It's always great to find new friends!


Kittra and I, we call her mom. She takes such good care of all of us!


Some of the performances going on that you could participate in.


Second day, CE classes, then the beach and a nice dinner with the group!

Amanda and I at the beach. We liked the beach so much instead of just hanging out at the beach we went and changed our clothes to swim. There was a wall made of lava rocks that creates a pool like area right at the beach. We swam to the wall and with Dr. Ricketts and D'Aundre we went over the wall into the open ocean, it was a lot of fun. Extremely rocky and it cut up our feet really bad. I had to buy some hydrogen peroxide to help them get better all week.


Another beach shot, this is us standing at the edge of the wall. I just love the shot with the lady behind me! Ha ha, but you can see the wall that we went over! Love of fun.


My dear friend Courtney!!! She looks stunning in this dress!


This is Dr. Gary Ricketts with his sweet wife Nita.


Amanda with Dr. Graham!


Day 3, had another day of CE classes. Then to the beach. This day Dr. Ricketts taught D'Aundre and I how to surf, or at least attempted. I didn't get any pictures of this! I'm really sad about that, but I did get up on my board once, I had my feet under me but my hands were still clutched, I couldn't quite stand up all the way, but this was a huge accomplishment! I road a wave! What a tough sport! Wears you out fast. Then that night we went on a Sunset Catamaran. This was a lot more fun than I thought it would be! Great company!


Here's the main group! Back row, me, Dr. Graham, Amanda, D'Aundre, and Dr. Ricketts.
Sitting, Kittra, Crystal, Courtney, and Jessica.


My best sunset shot!


D'Aundre and I. After the cruise D'Aundre, Amanda, and I went and sat on the beach until 1 in the morning. It was a full moon (Harvest Moon) and the water was warm. We discovered the amazing amount of homeless people in Honolulu! And one laid on the beach about 10-12 feet from us when no one else was on the beach. Then he mumbled something to us over and over, and all we could understand was the word space. And then he started rolling towards us. I guess we were in his space. But by the time we got our things packed up and getting out of there, he was about 2 feet from me! Scary, I was very thankful that D'Aundre was there on the beach with us that night!


Day 4 - a day of adventure! Rented a car (a story all in itself). Then drove out to see Pearl Harbor, and a nice drive around the island.

This is a very erie picture. This picture was taken after one torpedo hit the USS West Virginia, the USS Oklahoma was starting to tip over, and there are two more torpedo's coming at the ships if you look close. Very humbling.


A picture of the USS Arizona memorial. You walk over the USS Arizona where it lies on the ocean floor. With all whom fell with it. They have all the names of those who died and are entombed upon the USS Arizona written on a wall inside. They also have the survivor names whom have passed on, they have all been cremated and have had their ashes spread so they could lie down with their brothers. There is oil that still bubbles up from the ship.


It's hard to see too much of the ship that lies under the ocean, but this part sticks up and is the most visible piece.


A thank you to all those whom have served past and present. We couldn't be here with out you.


After Pearl Harbor, we went for a drive up to North Shore and stumbled upon the Dole Pineapple Plantation. They have a store and everything is pineapples! I mean everything! Lots of fun!


When we got to North Shore we were watching the people surfing and noticed a Bride and Groom out there surfing. He was in his tux and her in her gown. She was a much better surfer too! They had a photographer out in the ocean with them. And her dress was beautiful. Something I'll probably never see again.



As we drove around my friend Amanda saw on the map the Mormon Temple. So we took a detour and went and walked on the grounds. It's a beautiful temple. I was very excited to be able to stop and look, and thankful that my friend was willing to do that with me.


Here are some beautiful pictures of the mountain side of the island. We had some interesting stories trying to collect these pictures and trying to take a hike in the mountains!





This is a very compressed version of my trip. Day 5 we did our shopping for our friends and family, went to an aquarium and flew home!

I wish I could have taken my family with me, I missed them a lot. But it was an opportunity I may never get again and I'm very grateful for those who helped out with getting me there. Also very thankful to see some of our Heavenly Fathers most beautiful creations! Breathtaking! Thank you Jimmy for letting me go on the trip!
Good night!

3 comments:

Kristen M said...

What a fun trip! That's the temple my grandparents were president of. In 2001 when I was at Ricks I got to go with my family to visit them there on Oahu. Seeing your pics reminded me of how much I LOVED it. It's amazingly beautiful.

So...I'm going to be in UT for Christmas too! It would be so awesome to see you and your kids, if you have an extra few minutes to spare. Even if it's just to say hi and bye. :) Our tickets are for Dec 23-Jan 1. Love ya Auds.

Marcy Cheney said...

Looks like you had a great time...how wonderful that you were able to go with a fun group of co-workers. Your pictures all turned out great...such beautiful scenery. Really wish we could see you after Thanksgiving, but know that y'all will have a great time at DisneyWorld. Love ya!!!

noelle said...

ahhh, love hawaii. definitely paradise. the only thing missing from all your beautiful pics was jimmy and your cute kiddos! love you guys.